Sunday, March 22, 2009

One of The Hardest Things (Not in a good way!)

So, I figured that when I decided to go and live in Greece for a year, it be this whirlwind of fun, that I would be having so much fun that I wouldn't have a moment to even think about home. How could I have been so wrong?

When I first began to think about a year living in Greece, life in England had been at an all time low. I was bored in my job, I had no boyfriend but had been seeing a few total losers, and just yearned for adventure. My best friend K had been over seas, to the land of Oz, and was constantly uploading albums full of drunken fun and amazing sights. Greece had always been my love, where better to migrate to?

In the months up to leaving the UK, I had this feeling that I might meet someone of the male variety, I laughed with my friends, that this would just be so typical me!! K was back from her travels, and I was so excited that we were going off to Global Gathering. We had numerous phone calls, bubbling full of anticipation of the fun that was in store, and the upcoming reunion! She mentioned that two of her fellow travellers would also be joining us. I added them both on Facebook, you know, it was what a friendly girl like me would do. I chatted with one of them quite a bit, but when I arrived in Stratford on the Global day, I was so excited to see K that I didn't really register the two males following her...until like, hmmm, a minute later!!

Somehow, during the course of the festival our party of four seemed to become two parties of two. I didn't even know how it happened, I just remember that with him, I was having the best time, I was ready to party on for the whole night and the next day! When we left, K and N went one way on the train, and we headed on London way. We had to wait for a train for a couple of hours so we lay down on the ground and cuddled up to keep warm, and went to sleep. On the trian to we slept, I woke up and felt so cramped from all the cold! But it was fine!

We got on very well, we started to see each other, going for dinner, drinks, cinema, bowling, ice skating, I swear if it's on the dating to do list, we did it. Weeks past, and as each week past, I was thinking, errr hello, did we forget we're moving to Greece, what are you doing? I tried to stop, but not very much, I didn't want to. He took me to dinner, and full on three course, and that was it. Nothing I could do.

I couldn't bear the thought of having to leave him, and this thing we had started behind. In fact, every bone in my body was screaming out that it wasn't the end, don't let it be the end. We tiptoed around my going away right up until the day before I was due to go. I must have cried all over him for about two hours about all my concerns for going to Greece. I was starting to think it was the worst decision I have ever made. He listened to me, he let me cry on his shoulder, and didn't seem to mind that it was now soaking wet. We agreed to see how it went, with me there and him in England.

Long distance, it's never the greatest thing in the world, but no matter how hard it gets, no matter how much I ache for him, to just see him, all of that, it's worth it. Sometimes, I miss him so much, I feel like I am going crazy, sometimes he feels so far away, sometimes I feel so close to him, we make an effort for each other, because I wouldn't want it any other way. This is a million times better than the other option we had. It's worth it, 100% worth it, and it always will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment